Hey darlings! I wanted to do a skin related post and with the summer rays coming through, why not talk about sun protection? Yes, many of us love the sunshine but sun damage is no joke! It’s time to educate yourself on how to protect your skin because you only have one skin for the rest of your life. So let’s just jump in..
First off, what is SPF? SPF stands for Sun Protection Factor. The higher the SPF value of your sunscreen, the more protection you have against the sun’s UVA/UVB rays. Now, don’t think you can add up SPF values to enhance your protection. That’s not how it works. The highest value of sunscreen you put on you skin is the most you gonna get. Example: If you put on an SPF 10 moisturizer then a foundation with SPF 30. Your skin has the protection of SPF 30 NOT SPF 40. Now that we understand the basics of SPF, let’s hit on the key points of what SPF does for you and some tips on sun protection.
- SPF 30 is the MINIMUM value of sunscreen you should have on your skin. Apply it LIBERALLY.
- You need to apply every 2 hours even if the product is sweat proof/waterproof. I know fellow makeup lovers aren’t about to slather sunscreen on their perfectly done up face so dust some face powder with SPF in it to keep you protected! There is no excuse.
- Sun exposure is linked to hyperpigmentation (dark spots) and freckles. Yes, it’s true. How did I find that out? Intense research on the topic. Even if you have dark spots due to acne, if you don’t protect your skin in the sun it can get worse. The same goes for freckles. Even if you have a few freckles from genetics, sun damage can cause a lot more freckles on the body and face.
- Sun damage causes premature aging and wrinkles. So, stop being lazy and slather that sunscreen on.
- The best reason ever is it DECREASES YOUR CHANCES OF GETTING SKIN CANCER!
At the end of the day, you need to protect your skin. If your skin is crappy, your makeup will look crappy. Nobody wants sun damage!